The Eule Organ from 1985
In 1755, the first organ was installed in the Französische Kirche (French Church) in Friedrichstadt. It was built by the Berlin organ builder Leopold Christian Schmaltz on the south side of the gallery. In 1906, while conversion work was being done on the church, the Berlin organ-builders, Gebrüder Dinse, built a new and larger organ on the eastern gallery. This organ, renovated by the Schuke company, Potsdam, in 1935, was destroyed along with the entire church in a bombing raid in 1944.
When the church was reconstructed, the company Hermann Eule Orgelbau Bautzen was commissioned to build a new organ in the early 1980s.
Inspired by the church’s French tradition, the company built an instrument that was designed in accordance with certain principles of French organ construction that originated during the Baroque period. These made it especially well suited for playing classical French organ music, although its stops allow performers to play organ literature from other epochs, too: from the old masters and Bach to that of the modern composers. As the gold-plated carving had survived from the Schmaltz Organ pipes, with the crowning “Eye of God” in the aureole, the initial pipes could be reconstructed with the aid of the old carving. Consequently, this carving is the only part of the church to survive from the 18th century.
On 15 September 1985, the new organ erected on the west gallery by Helmut Werner, Ulrich Schwarzenberg, Armin Zuckerriedel and other employees of the Eule company on the west gallery, was officially inaugurated. Since then, it has won itself a permanent place in the Berlin-Brandenburg organ landscape thanks to its beautiful sound and unmistakable character.
|I. Manual: coupler manual|
Quinte 2 2/3’
Larigot 1 1/3’
Voix humaine 8’
|Bourdon doux 8’|
Nazard 2 2/3’
Tierce 1 3/5’
|Grand Bourdon 16’ –|
Bourdon 8’ – Flûte 4’
Flûtes 8’ –
Prestant 4’ – Oktavin 2’
Bombarde 16’ –
Trompetbaß 8’ – Clairon 4’
Mechanical key- and stop-action
Coupling using pistons (on the right) and stops
Pistons on the left: reed stop on and off
Manual range: C to a’’’
Pedal range: C to f’
The following CDs, with music played on our organ, can be obtained from our church office (Öffenlichkeitsarbeit, tel. 030/20649923, or e-mail: email@example.com).
- „Orgelmusik französischer und deutscher Meister“. Kilian Nauhaus performs works of J. S. Bach, F. Couperin, C. Franck u.a. Jubal Musikproduktionen Berlin 2018
- Joh. Seb. Bach: “Organ mass“ for organ and choir (double CD). Kilian Nauhaus plays the Eule Organ at the Französische Friedrichstadtkirche, accompanied by the choir „Berliner Vokalkreis“. Conductor: Johannes Raudszus. Berlin 2006
- “Videntes stellam” – Choir and organ music for Advent and Christmas, sung by the „Berliner Vokalkreis“, conducted by Johannes Raudszus. On the organ: Kilian Nauhaus. Berlin 2002